Sunday, July 26, 2009

Ranting and Ravings

My wife flew home for a wedding a couple of days ago. When I got back from taking her to the airport I turned off the AC, turned on the Rolling Stones, and cracked a beer. I've been wandering around our little beachfront apartment in swim trunks, sweating my ass off, swilling beers, and getting pissed reading about the worldwide corruption of the political system. It could be the combination of heat, information, beer, and coffee...but I am not happy about the corporate elite who are dominating the world. I just want to live a quiet life of growing my own food and living simply, but those bastards just want to have a thumb on every aspect of OUR lives. 

Here is an article from Rolling Stone's Matt Tiabbi about those shit-headed assholes from Goldman-Sachs who are in the business of screwing all of us out of our money. The very fact that these scum bags are out there doing this to us while we just sit back and watch 'American Idol' is pretty heinous. The mainstream media has totally failed us when Rolling Stone is out there talking about the real issues of today. CNN spends more time talking about celebrities than true news events. Thank goodness there is a burgeoning alternative media rising up to fill the void left by the corporate conglomerate controlled media. Check out www.infowars.com for some pretty mind opening news and opinion.

I have to chuckle about the news cycle this past week. While cable news talking heads were bleating about the president's comments about Harvard professor Gates, serious shit was going down in the world. Just watch C-Span for a couple of hours and see all of the sobering items which are up for vote that WILL change our lives, but we don't hear a word about. We are about to get taxed on things ranging from toilet paper to kitchen sinks, our choices  on healthcare are about to disappear, we're going to get taxed on driving via an Orwellian GPS tracking system in our vehicles, and Obama is getting set to expand our military operations into bases in Africa. It's almost too much for a rational individual who wants to live their own life without the input of a million political hacks who sold their souls to the corporate Man. 

I just read that our local mayor and town council is up for reelection here in Carolina Beach. The thing is though that they are all running without opposition. Thank goodness for them I haven't lived here long enough to throw my name into the hat, but next time they had better watch out. I'm getting fired up here about politics and real change starts at the local level. If we're still living here in two years, then I will run for a public office. Until that point, I've made the decision to get involved by going to all the public hearings and putting out as many opinion articles which the local papers dare publish. Hunter S. Thompson ran for sheriff is Aspen a couple of decades ago and he ran without censoring himself. He through bricks at everyone, attempting to expose fraud and corruption wherever possible. I am going to follow his Gonzo example and be loud about my opposition. Don't bring your children to the meetings, because I'm going to use profanity when necessary...And it seems that there are few situation which call for the use of profane language like politics.

On a slightly more positive note, we finally got some juicy waves on Thursday and Friday. It was almost head-high with some power behind it. I surfed for almost 7 hours Thursday and 5 hours on Friday. My arms were noodles and my nose was crispy by the time the swell got beat down by the onshore wind. I am really looking forward to surfing some decent waves this fall. 

Thanks for reading. Stay tuned for more rants and entertaining stories. Keep on keeping on.

No comments: