Wednesday, November 19, 2008

All is Well in Humboldt

I don't want to rub anything in, but we have had some good surf around here for the past week or so. It has just been fabulous W/NW swell out there, it's been long swell lines and glassy conditions. The size has been in the chest to occasional over-head bomber waves. I've been surfing some seriously quality waves lately and I haven't surfed with more than a handful of guys out the entire time. 
On Saturday morning I drove around for almost an hour before I found a spot with another guy out. I ended up at the little rocky cove up north surfing 6-8 foot waves with two other guys. It was good to surf some juicy waves with consequence, I was starting to get a little lazy with workouts. There came a point on Saturday when I was caught inside during a sizable set. I could tell that there were several waves to roll through still and the large, barnacle covered rocks along the shore looked rather unpleasant to make contact with...I was pretty much running on empty and there came this voice in the back of my head that said, "I told you that you should be doing more push-ups". I ended up taking the rest of the set on the head and paddled back out for another hour or so of waves.
Since Sunday, the swell has been perfect for the beach right by our house. I'm sure it's still breaking as I type, but I needed a morning to catch up on news and reading. I really need to be on top of my game, events and politics wise, so I can keep the banter at the bar going.
Life has been good around here though. The past days have been great. I'll surf until almost noon, warm shower and then head into the bar for a day of shooting pool and pouring beers. Weekends are filled with beach days, sailing, and grilling out with friends. Last weekend my buddy brought over several dozen oysters and I was given some petrale sole. Nothing is quite as tasty as fresh, local seafood grilled out with good friends after a day filled with waves and sailing. 
I've been getting lucky lately with the food freebies. In the past few days I've been given two turkeys, dozens of Dungeness crabs, and more fresh fish than I can handle almost. Thanksgiving is going to be a good combination of classic Hoosier fare and fresh, local seafood.
I've been going on and on about how good things are here in Humboldt County, but apparently things are falling apart elsewhere in the world. I guess it's a combination of the usual bullshit of the world, typical media over-hyping, and gross government ineptitude. I won't piss and moan about things though, there are plenty of people doing that already. Plus, I start to feel like a real jackass when complain about all the wrongs in the world and overlook all of the great things that are happening. The US economy may be in the dumps, but we're all still way above the average person in the world when it comes to ease of living. Whenever the media hypes every little problem into the next world ending disaster and almost brings me to the point to total despair, I think back to the words of Hunter S. Thompson (I'm pretty sure)..."Pay attention to the media sparingly and then only for entertainment".


No comments: