Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day 2008

Happy Election Day everyone. Get out and vote. Or if you're like me and already sent in an absentee ballot, sit back and watch all the people wait in line on TV. Enjoy listening to the media bemoan how certain voting precincts have lines causing people to wait in line for hours and hours on end. Of course those horrible lines are caused by evil Republicans hoping to disenfranchise poor minorities and young people. It certainly couldn't be the fault of the individual election committees and certain precincts being organized and staffed by incompetent nincompoops. 

Our choices this year stink, or at least the two main party candidates stink and it'd take an act of God for one of my beloved third party guys to win. By the time I leave the bar tonight (working not drinking), the media is going to let us know who the President Elect is and I'm not excited about the prospects. It really sucks that the media pretty much blacked out any exposure for third party candidates. I don't know if you guys really looked over your ballots, but out here in CA I had the ability to vote for a number of non-mainstream candidates. Great thinkers and politicians like Bob Barr, Alan Keyes, Ralph Nader, and Cynthia McKinney (she's  kind of crazy) ran for President...but didn't get the nod from the media or any air time. I mean, honestly, the 24/7 media says the same damn thing dozens of times a day. Why wouldn't they recycle their clips less and get some different ideas out there. Nader and Barr were polling nationally at 5 or 6 points a piece and they didn't even participate in the debates. It's absolutely stupid that 'Joe the Plumber' gets to run his mouth on every station for a couple weeks and actual third party candidates can't buy five minutes on TV. I mean how silly is it that those guys are placed on the ballots in most states and they aren't even allowed to participate in public debates. These debates are even set up by the government (Presidential Debate Commission), but I digress...

It always boils down to Republican or Democrat, but the two major parties are so diluted and weighed down by phoney-populist ideas and corporate cronyism that nothing really ever changes. I mean, if you're serious about Republican ideas, i.e. smaller government, less government interference in your personal life, etc...then you should have voted for Bob Barr, the Libertarian candidate for president. And if you are serious about Democratic ideas, i.e. bigger government, more social programs, etc...then you should've voted for Ralph Nader or Cynthia McKinney. If you are an 'Independent', then Alan Keyes is your man. If this is the first time that you've even heard that there were more than two candidates running, then I'm sorry to tell you this,but you've had your head up the mainstream media's ass for the past several years. I suggest that you immediately turn off CNN or Fox and seek out other sources for information that are not controlled by large multi-national corporations.

I'm sorry to go political on you guys. I'm just getting frustrated with the status quo and I'd like to see things get mixed up a bit. The debate has just become so mundane and dumbed down. It's all about sound bites and knee-jerk reactions. Oh well...I guess the beauty of America is that anyone can make the change happen and get the ball rolling. It all starts locally.

If you're still reading, thanks for letting me rant and vent. If you think I'm crazy, then you should go to the link at the bottom. It's my favorite author's publishing companies website. Read through some of his essays.

Stay tuned for more adventures. There is a solid NW swell filling in and the weather is clearing up around here. The weekend is almost here and I have a feeling that a trip is in the works.

http://www.banditobooks.com/ezine/home

1 comment:

John Caywood said...

Well Bro, You will either think me an idiot or understand my way of thinking. I voted Obama as a punishment vote to the GOP. No longer may they count on the base and throw mediocre candidates onto the ballots and expect me to pull the trigger like a mindless parrot. Ron Paul should have got the nod. As far as Palin goes, if I want to look at "eye candy" there are plenty of MILF sites out there. I want someone competent to step in should the unthinkable occur. She just doesn't cut it for me. Think France 1789. Its high time for an American Bastille Day on a base political level. Let the healing begin.