Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Couple Barrels and Some Thoughts

My little slice of coastline caught some decent swell over the past few days, giving me chest to head high waves to play in for the past few days. I went in early to the golf courses on Friday to run off a few geese so I could catch the mid-afternoon low tide and some dredging little barrels. I was itching for an actual wave with some punch to it. Living in California spoiled me when it comes to sizable and consistent surf. I don't really remember seeing it completely flat ever, but then again it was often too big or sharky to safely paddle out. I digress though, we had some great waves over the weekend. I snuck out for two sessions each day over the weekend and caught some really great waves. Just this morning, my last wave of the session ended with a great barrel. It was just what I needed before church. I always forget to take pictures of the waves before I paddle out, but then again...Who has the time when there are waves breaking?

Life outside the surf is tumultuous as always. I picked the wrong economy to take on the title of small business owner and freelance writer. I'm gearing up to expand the Wildlife Management (i.e. goose chasing) business into new courses and areas. We've been giving those Canadian Geese a free ride for decades and now I'm going to get a return on all of that government money we invested into preservation programs. We gave them free range of the country for years and now they are certainly overrunning this area. Driving around the area, I'll see geese fly over the road and find myself wandering which addition they are landing in. It's just nerve-wracking to be in charge of your next paycheck. I mean, work

Owning a sailboat is a funny thing. Fix one thing and you'll find two more that need attention. It's been several weekends in a row that I'll say, "Well this is the weekend to launch this thing"...And the crappy thing is that West Marine and the other marine supply shops seem to think that the exorbitant prices they charge for the tiniest pieces of hardware or amount of something is legitimate. Apply a common piece of hardware equipment to a boat and you could make a fortune.

We went to a meet your candidate function at a local coffee shop/bar and met all of the Town Council hopefuls. They all seemed like pretty decent folks. At what point does the decent local politico become the sleazy politician that makes it to the next level? I was pretty disconcerted to hear all of them talk wistfully about developing parts of the town into bigger, better developments. I was kind of hoping to hear one of them say, "Ya, I'd bulldoze that whole strip of unsightly buildings and turn it into a park". If only Ed Abbey were still alive and running for Town Council.

I changed the comments portion of the blog, I'm thinking that the comments section should be open to everyone without an email verification now. So go ahead and comment away. I started putting the web address on my business cards and business brochures, so maybe it'll get more readership.

Catch ya'll later.

2 comments:

Turd Ferguson said...

Great writing Ben. Let's hear more ranting!

Holland NC 2010 said...

Ben - Before you decide that you want candidates who will "bulldoze" things, you might want to consider that you really need some of those unsightly things that irritate you. Remember that your new business ventures depend on people coming into your area and that is going to require that people pay some taxes on the property around you. It would be far better to have folks in office who will hold a high standard for the town so that those who have the families and the money will come to your area and take advantage of the services that you hope to provide. On another note - keep chasing the geese, but just to the next golf course or the next neighborhood and make sure that they have your business card so that you can keep chasing the geese around in a big circle! Keep on keeping on until the economy gets better which you know it will because Obama has declared that it will!