Tuesday, October 20, 2009

To Indiana and Back via Train and Truck

I made it back to the beach after a long, strange weekend of traveling. I left off of my last post, close to midnight on Thursday night and sitting astride a bar stool at a decent little brewery in Fayetteville NC. The Amtrak Station in Fayetteville sits at the end of the main strip through the downtown. After I had secured my tickets and checked out the sterile, lit-by-florescent-lights train station waiting room, I decided my best course of action was to sit in one of the two open bars, sipping beer and shooting pool, until my 2AM train arrived. Anybody who has travelled by train can attest to the fact that the Amtrak station waiting room is a place to be avoided at all costs. The train attracts a certain type of character which makes for a completely unique experience. I've taken a couple of trains in my lifetime and I always meet some pretty weird people.
I'm not generally into smoking cigarettes, but on the road, it's a good way to get into conversations with people you'd never normally be able to have a conversation with. There is something about smokers that is funny. Nowhere else will you see several former strangers, standing around a doorway or under a stoop, bullshitting about life and times. You'll chat with your fellow smoker for five minutes or until both smokes are done, and then go your separate way. At a bar or waiting for a train, if you want to meet people and learn about life in their neck of the woods, then share a smoke break.
Anyway, my train arrived at Union Station in Washington DC around 7AM Friday morning and my train to Waterloo IN did not leave until 4:30PM, so I was left with a free day of sightseeing around our nation's capital. I was a bit foggy from a fitful night of dozing aboard the bumpy train, but once I stepped off the passenger car and into the stream of humanity spewing forth towards the offices of downtown DC, I quickly perked up. It was interesting to stroll amongst the politicos on their way to work and look for people I recognized from C-SPAN. After finding a coffee shop and re-filling my re-usable coffee cup (which I always carry, refills are always cheaper), I set off to explore. Union Station is a few blocks away from Capital Hill and the sights of DC. Stepping out into the day, I quickly realized that it was a cold and rainy day. I actually am glad it was dreary outside, it kept some tourists away and left the sidewalks open for me. I walked through tons of museums and government office buildings. It was my first time to the capital, so it was great to see some of the places I'd read about. I was struck by the massive scale of the whole place. The Capital Mall, which is flanked by the Smithsonian Museums is huge. I walked through the Native American, Natural History, and American History Smithsonians. I also walked through the greenhouse and Library of Congress. I thought about going into a couple of the office buildings, but their were tons of very heavily armed Storm Trooper looking toughs. It was very eye opening to see the sheer number of assault rifle bearing dudes. They were standing at doorways and I even some a few on rooftop. It seems that Orwell was an optimist.

My overnight train ride was long and often uncomfortable. My seat mate was a garrulous 60-something. I have my suspicion about his sanity. He's laugh really loud in the middle of nothing. Apparently he worked for some geo-thermal consulting firm. I ended up having a couple of beers with him in the viewing car. I went their to get away from sitting elbow to elbow with him and have some peace, but he eventually followed me there and had a couple of Screwdrivers himself. Thank goodness for that, it helped him sleep soundly through the night. Leaving me to get some writing and reading done. Next time I travel by train, I'm taking a little flask of something for myself and I'm going to spend the whole ride in the viewing car, playing cards or something.

Arriving home, it was great to be greeted by loving parents and enjoy a solid Indiana breakfast. It's always humbling to arrive back home to a great big loving family who always have arms wide open. I have a big, awesome family. Contrasting my family background to people who I meet, I always get a little lump in my throat. I've been blessed. I spent the day in Indiana, hanging out with my family. The family dogs are doing great, one is fat and happy and the other is a little one-eyed rascal dog. There was a big bonfire that night, complete with brats and burgers courtesy of my brother's giant smoker grill.

I awoke early Sunday morning and hit the road in my new truck, courtesy of my in-laws. They offered up the use of their Chevy truck for the time being, so I could grow my little business and look a little bit more professional than cruising around in my hippy van.

I made the drive East in a little over 12 hours, which I believe is a family record. I'm back to work this week chasing geese and researching my next article for publication. I'm going to write about a Civil War era Confederate sailor.

Our little sloop is getting put in the water this week. It's almost ready for its first voyage under new ownership. Say a prayer for seaworthiness.

Stay tuned for some pictures in the next few days or once I locate my camera's cable. I'll probably get fired up about something which is happening and try to write an article, but often I think 'what's the use?'...I listened to this discussion by alternative economic forecasters about the future state of this country and it really got me down. Their advice basically boiled down to stockpile food, gold, and ammo. Damn.

Anyway, keep on keeping on. God bless.

No comments: